With social media constantly evolving, it’s easy to make mistakes. It’s also easy to avoid mistakes—especially on Twitter.
Recently, the Buffer blog offered an extensive list of 77 common Twitter mistakes
. Some are obvious, like using the service to stalk or harm others (No. 77), but some are less obvious and good lessons for brands to consider, such as these five:
35. If you write tweets over 120 characters long, someone who wants to retweet and add commentary won’t have enough room. Shorter is better.
47. Retweeting yourself is like laughing at your own jokes.
65. Overtweeting contests and giveaways.
66. Failing to take the time to listen to Twitter conversations before you jump in to promote your organization or cause.
74. A cheap trick that won’t work: trying to get followers by participating in trending topics.
for the full list of 77 Twitter mistakes—including advice for your personal account.