Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
Pohl Communications for Calgary Regional Partnership
Proudly Represents & Mediatic for Domino's Pizza Netherlands & Indie Amsterdam
See all the winners of PR Daily's 2013 Digital PR Awards. Click here!
Best Video – Marketing/Awareness
Credit union holds key to reaching millennials with financial literacy
A video series from IC Federal Credit Union raises awareness with viral success.
When IC Federal Credit Union
, a not-for-profit organization specializing in financial products and services, wanted to reach millennials, members of the Gen Y generation, it knew charts and text wouldn’t do the trick.
To attract new members from this demographic, the financial institution wanted to meet them “on their turf: social media sites such as YouTube, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook.”
It worked with a Gen Y firm, James and Matthew and Company
, to create a video campaign that garnered top honors in PR Daily’s 2013 Digital PR Awards in the Best Video—Marketing/Awareness category.
The campaign lasted a little more than a year and used cartoon animation, taking millennials back to their childhood and using humor and satire to grab them and hold their interest as adult viewers.
It hit the mark with these six videos:
- “Credit Unions vs. Big Banks”: Illustrates differences between credit unions and banks (almost 27,000 views*)
- “Zombie Life Insurance”: Humorous Life Insurance 101, zombie-style (more than 5,000 views)
- “The S Word”: No, not that one; it’s “S-avings,” silly (more than 45,000 views)
- “Budgeting in B Minor”: Introduction to getting finances on track (more than 108,000 views)
- “The Tale of The Landlord and Broker”: Teaches benefits of owning vs. renting or leasing (almost 57,000 views)
- “Credit Card Murphy—Behind the Plastic”: Viral lesson in responsible credit card use (almost 420,000 views)
*All views are as of late August 2013.
The videos were shared, viewed on mobile devices, and featured in the media. The credit union saw dramatically increased Gen Y activity in new accounts, share deposits, and loans.
We congratulate the team that collaborated on the winning effort: Monica Turner, Internet and social media specialist; James and Matthew and Company; and Pati Maguy, marketing specialist.
Find out about Ragan and PR Daily’s award programs here.