This year, I spent a lot of time editing corporate drivel. I’ve changed “utilize” to “use” more times than I can count.
To take a break from this mind-numbing task, I like to play with words. Lately, I’ve noticed puns and creative word play, particularly when they are applied to the names of businesses. Here are some of my favorites, in alphabetical order:
1. Austin Found – resale shop
2. Barton Strings – a string quartet, a play on words for Barton Springs, a spring-fed pool in Austin.
3. Cycloanalysts – bicycle shop
4. Doody Calls – pet waste removal service
5. Drain Surgeons – plumbers
6. Facial Attraction – facial salon
7. Frock Off – dress shop
8. Fur Get Me Not – pet supply store
9. Hair It Is – hair salon
10. It’s Curtains for You – curtain and upholstery shop
11. Juan in a Million – Mexican food restaurant
12. Let Them Eat Cake – bakery
13. The Mane Event (salon)
14. Me, Myself and Pie (bakery)
15. The Merchant of Tennis (tennis shop)
16. Sew Much More (sewing shop)
17. Sew What! (sewing shop)
18. Shear Madness (hair salon)
19. Wax On, Wax Off (hair waxing salon)
readers, any other punny business names to share?
Laura Hale Brockway is an Austin-based writer and editor. Read more of her work at Impertinent Remarks.