As pet peeves go, there are few things I find more disgusting than the smell of food while I’m working out at the gym. Clearly, Planet Fitness would not be for me.
Business Insider reports
that the popular chain, which prides itself on catering to the non-meat head crowd, gives away around a quarter of a million pizza slices each month at pizza parties for members.
It may seem antithetical for a health-promoting business to supply its customers with greasy, cheesy pizza. It also seems to defeat the purpose of working out. But the idea is exactly in line with the company’s philosophy.
Business Insider spoke with the company’s co-founder and CEO, Chris Rondeau:
Most health clubs, Rondeau explains, cater to the roughly 15 percent of Americans who consider themselves fitness nuts and love to work out. Planet Fitness's goal, on the other hand, is to attract the much larger percentage of people who want to be healthier but may only use the gym a few times a month.
"The rest of the industry is fighting over that 15 percent," he says. "We're going for the other 85 percent."
The gym, which also holds a monthly bagel breakfast, has previously canceled memberships for excessive grunting, as detailed in this New York Times article
[RELATED: A communicator’s dream–Ragan Training brings hundreds of hours of relevant, powerful insight to you!]
The pizza-party approach to running a gym seems to be working for Planet Fitness. It’s the fastest-growing gym chain in the United States, according to Business Insider