DataSource: Conversion failed when converting from a character string to uniqueidentifier.
Community Partnerships Program, RTI International
eGIVE, Emergent BioSolutions
National Walking Day 2015, Fiserv
Team Stryker Tunnel to Towers, Stryker Orthopaedics
Best Stakeholder/Employee Engagement
Bacardi engages employees to raise the bar on sustainability
From landscapers to the CEO, everyone plays a role by being green on the job.
You don’t think that a big organization could boost already high worker engagement by persuading employees to get enthusiastic about sustainability? Think again. Since February 2014 Bacardi has worked to build intense internal awareness for its award-winning sustainability programs. Its efforts have earned Bacardi first place in the “Stakeholder/Employee Engagement” category in PR Daily’s 2015 Corporate Social Responsibility Awards.
Bacardi had done outstanding green work for at least a decade before 2014. In 2013, Bacardi’s Operations and Communications units teamed up to create a new organizational vision, “Return to the environment at least as much as we take away,” and a new slogan: “Good Spirited: Building a Sustainable Future.” Then its Sourcing and Operations units set the following goals for 2017:
- Get 40 percent of sugarcane products from certified-sustainable farms and suppliers.
- Cut water use by 55 percent.
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 50 percent.
- Reduce total packaging weight by 10 percent.
That’s not all. In 2012-1013, Corporate Communications began using visual storytelling to transform Operations’ facts and processes into compelling sustainability messages. Bacardi trained 50 passionate brand ambassadors, dubbed “Green Champions,” in 75 global offices to ratchet up green awareness and action. The results:
- More than 80 employees around the world told the story of sustainability at Bacardi.
- 18 months after launch of its green drive, Bacardi is on track to achieve its 2017 goals.
- Since February 2014, the Good Spirited intranet Hub has gotten 36,000 views.
- Bacardi has saved $10 million in energy costs, $2 million in glass weight costs, and increased its water use efficiency by 46.5 percent since February 2014.
- The online Hub calculator totals employee activities in energy use, greenhouse gas emissions, and water conservation. It’s tracked 8,400 “Acts of Green” since February 2014.
For not being satisfied with results most other companies would have regarded as an overwhelming victory, congratulations go to Bacardi’s Jessica Merz, director of global internal communications; Amy Federman, director of external global communications; Stuart Lowthian, global operations technical director; Rodolfo Nervi, global environmental health & safety director; and Julio Torruella, global environmental director.