Inspiration comes from the strangest places.
Last weekend, for example, I took my inaugural trip to a science fiction/comic book convention. For the first time in years, I was immersed in the science fiction that I used to love in college—“Star Wars” and “Star Trek,” to name a few.
Here’s a look at the best lines uttered by one of the greatest sci-fi characters of all time: Jean-Luc Picard (Patrick Stewart) from “Star Trek: The Next Generation.” How do these tie in to corporate communications? Perhaps I’ll use one or two of these in my next staff meeting.
10. “I am Locutus of Borg. Resistance is futile.”
9. “You may test that assumption at your convenience.”
8. “There are four lights.”
7. "The line is drawn here! This far, no farther!"
6. "Let's make sure history never forgets the name . . . Enterprise
5. “No, I am not dead. Because I refuse to believe the afterlife is run by you. The universe is not so badly designed!”
4. “If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are.”
3. “Reports of my assimilation are greatly exaggerated.”
2. “Shut up, Wesley”
1. "Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived."
readers, care to share any of your favorite science fiction quotes?
Laura Hale Brockway is a medical writer and editor from Austin, Texas. She is also the author of the writing/editing/random thoughts blog, impertinentremarks.com.