Every week on
PR Daily, Pete Codella, a PR pro and speaker, shares one social media tool that’s a great fit for PR pros.
Feeling overwhelmed by all the information out there—like there’s simply not enough time to consume it and understand it?
Of course you are. We all are. It’s a symptom of the social media age.
That’s why, as professional communicators, we look for tools and techniques that save time and money when it comes to communicating through social media. And that’s why this week’s column is about Ping.fm
, which was acquired by Seesmic last January.
Do you post product updates on all your social media channels? Do you link to news releases or noteworthy blog posts on your social networks? Do you want to convey similar, or even the same information to all your online peeps at the same time?
Those are leading questions—and they lead us to Ping.fm.
Ping.fm is ideal for use by corporate communicators because it’s not about conversation, it’s about quickly and easily sharing information with others. It’s a way to push your information to numerous online networks at the same time. That way you can engage in follow-up conversation on the various social channels.
Please note that conversation is important and should be sought after, but sometimes you need a way to quickly spread the word about something. Ping.fm is an excellent way to self-publish status updates and short pieces of information.
What is Ping.fm and how do you use it?
It’s a one-stop publishing platform. You link your social media sites to Ping.fm with their respective usernames and passwords, then post updates to your sites. There are at least 50 different social sites supported by Ping.fm, including:
And the list goes on.
With Ping.fm, you can:
Add a custom URL and categorize the custom site for status updates, location services, blogging or microblogging, which makes the reach of Ping.fm virtually limitless.
- Blog and upload pictures through Ping.fm.
- Update Ping.fm from just about any Internet-enabled device. It’s easy to update Ping.fm via email, SMS, your mobile device, and even chat applications like GTalk, Skype, or Windows Live Messenger.
- Create groups. With Ping.fm you can combine several sites into one group, so for instance, status updates could be sent to your Facebook and LinkedIn profiles along with your Twitter account at the same time.
- Share links. Ping.fm will automatically shorten your links and provide statistics for how popular the links you share become.
- Learn more about your social sphere of influence. Ping.fm statistics track link visits, unique visits, referrals and referral country origination.
- View your recent posts. Ping.fm keeps the last 30 days worth of posts published using the service. This is helpful to look back on what you’ve already shared so you can perhaps re-post it or slightly alter the post and share it again.
Ping.fm is really straight forward. It’s simple and easy to set-up.
The mobile version of the service, which is available for the iPhone, Android, Windows7, and BlackBerry phones, is called Seesmic. Search for it where you download mobile apps.