Admit it. Our jobs aren’t as stressful as surgeons or firefighters, and many joke that “PR isn’t ER.”
We have all been in those situations where the adrenaline is pumping and that hard deadline is rapidly approaching. But is it really a job that puts us in dangerous situations? Sorry, the thought that the client might hate a concept just doesn’t rank with rescuing people.
Public relations professionals are a rare breed. Many are similar in being an OCD, Type-A personality. Others prefer the Type B approach. Either way, there are signs that connect us as an industry.
How do you know if you’re a PR professional? Here are 11 ways:
1. Your day starts and ends with a cup of coffee.
2. You can power-walk in 5-inch heels with your laptop bag while checking your BlackBerry.
3. Inside jokes with your colleagues will get you through the day—especially the insanely stressful ones.
4. You constantly engage in “PR is dead” and “the press release doesn’t have a place in business” arguments.
5. You are so used to putting the client first that you usually forget to eat lunch.