12 inspiring quotes about writing
‘Easy reading,’ as Nathaniel Hawthorne once said, ‘is damn hard writing.’ Here’s an easy read for writers.
But, here’s a little secret—writing is difficult. Even the most proficient writers have days when the words simply will not flow. I imagine it was those days when many of these 12 quotes were written …
1. “Substitute ‘damn’ every time you’re inclined to write ‘very’; your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.” ~ Mark Twain
2. “If writing seems hard, it’s because it is hard. It’s one of the hardest things people do.” ~ William Zinsser
3. “Writing well means never having to say, ‘I guess you had to be there.’ ” ~ Jef Mallett
4. “Writing gives you the illusion of control, and then you realize it’s just an illusion, that people are going to bring their own stuff into it.” ~ David Sedaris
5. “There’s nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein.” ~ Red Smith
6. “Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia.” ~ E.L. Doctorow
7. “I’m not a very good writer, but I’m an excellent rewriter.” ~ James Michener
Become a Ragan Insider member to read this article and all other archived content.Sign up today
Already a member? Log in here.
Learn more about Ragan Insider.