This story originally ran on PR Daily in March 2013. The older I get, the more I realize how smart my mother and Dr. Seuss are.
Dr. Seuss may have some crazy rhymes and guys drawn in his books, but if you look at the core of his thoughts and words, the man was brilliant. He can even teach us some nice lessons in regards to social media.
1. “Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you.”
Authenticity and transparency in social media are the “green” in the green eggs and ham. I like realness, Sam I am! Don’t be a different person offline than you are on Twitter and Facebook.
2. “Be who you are and say what you feel because those that matter don’t mind, and those that mind don’t matter!”
Stop worrying about what everyone thinks of you. Build your plan, work it and get out there. Yes, you will need to manage your brand, reputation and online image, but make it real.
3. “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.”
Did you get laid off or fired from the corporate world, or did you just plain quit? If you’re out of a job, quit crying. It’s a blessing. Get on with your life and build a new one in your own way.
4. “You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
You’re in love with the Twitter bird and you know it. If you’re dreaming of him, it’s a fact.
5. “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who’ll decide where to go.”
Isn’t this the truth? Take charge of your life. Go, people, go! Think of the communities you can build, the business you can win and the people you can connect with if you only try. Quit following in your competitors’ footsteps. Forge your own path and make things happen.
6. “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
This one makes me think of how complicated we make social media. Think newbie questions like, “What’s a retweet?” and “What’s a ‘tweet’ as opposed a ‘twit?'” The list goes on. The best advice I give people is to just do it. The answers are simple if you only engage.
7. “A person’s a person, no matter how small.”
Just because you have tens of thousands of followers on Twitter doesn’t mean you’re any better than the new guy who only has eight. You were there once, too. That person is a person, and probably smarter than you.
8. “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”
Listen and learn. Read, engage, watch your mentors and learn from them. You’ll soon learn and build your own track.
9. “We are all a little weird and life’s a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
I love this one. It reminds me of all the awesome people I’ve met on Twitter. I love my Twitter buddies. I’ve met people from around the world, and we all have a bit of quirky weirdness. Be quirky and you’ll find others who are quirky, too.
10. “Being crazy isn’t enough.”
Yes, have humor, but you need to add value. Inspire, educate and engage with your audience. Don’t approach social media like a bird out of the crazy cage. You may be excited you learned how to tweet, but put some sense into those 140 characters.
11. “From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere!”
Social media is filled with humor. Just look around. Do a Twitter search for the term “get more followers” and see just how many funny crazies there are who think they are making progress by spamming. Embrace the humor of social media folks.
12. “I meant what I said and I said what I meant. An elephant’s faithful 100 percent!”
Stick to your words and make your words stick.
13. “Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!”
Think bigger than a tweet, faster than a zoom, and what you can do if you reached for the moon! Be different. Be bold. Stand out from the crowd.
14. “In my world, everyone’s a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!”
This one reminds me of the people who think social media is free, and that social media alone will save their businesses. Get over it, folks. Social media is far from free. It doesn’t enable you to eat rainbows, and it sure as heck does not poop butterflies. It poops a bad return on investment and negative brand equity if you don’t manage it and plan.
15. “How did it get so late so soon?”
This happens to me every night on Twitter. I’ll just get into it when I pass out on the laptop. If only there were more hours in the day. Time flies when you’re having fun!
I will close with my all-time favorite Dr. Seuss quote:
“You’re off to great places! Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So … get on your way!”
Pam Moore is CEO and founder of Marketing Nutz. A version of this article first appeared on TheMarketingNutz.com.