These suggestions are made with a brand or organization in mind, but can easily be adapted to personal accounts. This is also a nice checklist if you are trying to strike a balance between self-promotion and adding value to your communities with updates.
Here are my first 20 suggestions (the other 20 will follow later in the week):
1. Share a “how to” video from YouTube about your niche. (YouTube even has dedicated section on “how to and style“.)
2. Suggest other niche media of interest to your community. For instance, a golf-related page would benefit from an update on the local time of the next major tournament telecast.
3. Highlight special offers and competition of interest to your community. Often, another Facebook page will stage a competition with some great prizes on offers relevant to your niche. No harm in re-sharing that link.
4. Stage a live Q&A on your wall with an industry expert. Giving people access to knowledge is always received well.
5. Create and stage polls that add value to the page. More brands are using polls on Facebook pages, but the incentive for participation is often overlooked. Before you post a poll, ask why your community would take part and share it to encourage.