Here’s a little social media quiz for you: In 2015, which social media network will see a more impressive rise in U.S. users than Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest?
Are you stumped?
According to a new forecast from eMarketer, the number of Tumblr users in the United States (those who access their accounts at least once a month) will climb this year by 12.9 percent compared to 2014. Tumblr’s U.S. user base will hit 20 million in 2015, and 26.6 million by 2019, eMarketer predicts.
By comparison, Facebook’s user base in the U.S. will increase 3 percent this year over last year, with Twitter’s going up by 9.6 percent and Pinterest’s by 11.4 percent. Among the five social media networks featured in the eMarketer forecast, only Instagram’s U.S. user base is projected to rise more than Tumblr’s (20.9 percent).
Those Tumblr trends are hard for marketers, PR practitioners, brand journalists and a slew of other professionals to ignore, particularly if their outreach includes the 16-to-34 age group.
Yahoo-owned Tumblr describes itself as a microblogging platform that makes “it really, really simple for people to make a blog and put whatever they want on it. Stories, photos, GIFs, TV shows, links, quips, dumb jokes, smart jokes, Spotify tracks, mp3s, videos, fashion, art, deep stuff.”
If Tumblr isn’t on your social media radar, here are 21 statistics that you should know about this social media network.
- Tumblr was the fastest-growing social media platform in the first half of 2014, with a 120 percent spike in the number of active users (Global Web Index).
- As of March, Tumblr sat at No. 29 on Alexa’s global ranking of websites (Alexa).
- Tumblr had 225.6 separate blogs as of March (Tumblr).
- 3.9 million new Tumblr blogs were created in February (Tumblr).
- As of March 2015, more than 105.2 billion posts had been published on Tumblr (Tumblr).
- The network surpassed 100 billion posts on Jan. 3. (Tumblr).
- 2.5 billion Tumblr posts were published in February (Tumblr).
- 83.1 million posts are published each day (Tumblr).
- Tumblr is available in 13 languages (Tumblr).
- 42 percent of Tumblr’s traffic comes from the United States (Tumblr).
- From the United States alone, Tumblr attracted 35 million unique visitors in January (Tumblr).
- The original Tumblr post about #TheDress drew 73 million page views (Tumblr).
- In the fourth quarter of 2014, Tumblr’s total audience (bloggers and visitors) grew to 460 million, up 9 percent from the third quarter of 2014 (Seeking Alpha).
- Use of Tumblr’s mobile app climbed 33 percent from 2013 to 2014 (Seeking Alpha).
- Three-fourths of the Ad Age Top 100 maintain a presence on Tumblr, with 56 of those 75 spending ad dollars on the network (Seeking Alpha).
- Tumblr has the highest sentiment ranking (5.34) among all social platforms. Or, as Tumblr puts it, the site “is a more positive place” than any other social media network (Adobe).
- Among Internet users, the 16-to-24 set is the most active age group on Tumblr, at 13 percent (Global Web Index).
- More than 70 percent of Tumblr’s users fall within the 16-to-34 age group (Global Web Index).
- Of the more than 35 social media platforms tracked by Global Web Index, Tumblr has the youngest audience (Global Web Index).
- 80 percent of active Tumblr users access the platform via mobile device (Global Web Index).
- Posting activity on Tumblr reaches its peak at 4 p.m. Eastern, with Sunday being the busiest day (Tumblr).