This means explaining how our work benefits bottom-line goals. Part of this is showing and telling people what PR is and isn’t.
I’ll begin today with a quick checklist of what PR is NOT:
1. The department whose sole purpose is to write, edit, and hawk press releases.
2. The business function whose only raison d’etre is publicity.
3. A business function that deals with the media and/or bloggers and NOTHING else.
4. A way to get free advertising—pure and simple.
5. Ever guaranteed to generate coverage.
6. Ever 100 percent controllable.
7. A profession filled entirely with unctuous jackasses.
8. Journalism’s bitch.
9. A highly scientific discipline.
10. A craft that has figured out—with any sort of consensus—how its true organizational value should be measured.