On the Paratus Communications blog, PR Daily Europe contributor Adam Vincenzini rounds up five of the most-talked-about social media platforms each week. The feature is called Platform Five. Adam has agreed to simulcast it on PR Daily.
Too busy working this week to see everything the Web had to offer?
Don’t worry; we’ve got you covered.
Here are five social media platforms catching fire this week.
1. Global gifting takes flight with GiftRocket.com. This is a clever use of existing technology, blending it with a need that will never die: sending gift cards and vouchers to the people you love (or like). With the help of Yelp’s search listings, GiftRocket enables the giftee to redeem the value of that voucher at any business, anywhere in the world, direct to his or her smartphone. More on how it works here.
2. TweePlayer.com delivers Twitter to recorded TV. TweePlayer.com records live events and integrates tweets made during that event, re-creating a real-time conversation experience. Too good to be true? Read more at RWW for the full scoop.
3. ‘Google for apps’ on the way, thanks to Quixey.com. This is destined to be a site that we visit repeatedly. Quixey is a functional search engine for apps across all platforms, helping you narrow your searches for app-only results. Check out the story at Mashable.
4. YoHolla wants to be a safer Facebook. YoHolla is a social networking site that “puts the users in complete control” of their data, helping to bring a little privacy back to social media. It is advertising-free (but you have to pay for a subscription), and it promises never to sell your data. Read more at AppScout.
5. JotForm + DropBox = DropBox Forms. We’ve saved the best for last this week. It is delivered by “drag and drop” Web form builder, JotForm. Though the JotForm service is handy on its own, the company recognized that it could add value by making it easier to send files to your DropBox account—and that’s what they’ve done with this mashup. Check out the full story at AppStorm.