However, commenting on blogs can be a smart move. By leaving insightful comments on targeted blogs in your niche, you can:
Of course, you can’t just leave any old comments on blogs and expect to enjoy these benefits. You have to make sure you’re leaving high-quality comments, not those that make you look like a fool.
What kind of blog comments should you avoid leaving? Here are a five types:
1. Short, generic comments that aren’t specific to the post. Don’t waste your time leaving comments that say only, “Good post!” or, “I agree!” These are the types of comments spammers leave. If you’re going to weigh in, take the time to read the post and respond to the topic. Show that you have a strong understanding of the content, and try to push the conversation forward.
2. Comments that are controversial for the sake of being controversial. Yes, being controversial will get you noticed, but if you’re raising eyebrows just because you want attention, people will see right through you. If you don’t truly believe what you’re saying, don’t post it to simply provoke a reaction.
3. Disrespectful comments. There are a lot of mean people on the Internet. Don’t be one of them. No one likes an obnoxious troll, and you won’t enjoy any of the benefits mentioned above if you’re rude or disrespectful.
4. Comments filled with links. Don’t cram your comment full of links back to your website. It will be obvious that you’re leaving a comment because you want to drive traffic to your site. You’ll be called out as a spammer. If the comment form has a space for including a link, put it there and leave it at that.
5. Comments riddled with typos. Blog comments are fairly casual, but if they have a number of misspellings and punctuation errors, you’ll undermine your credibility.