Whether you need help with interviews, networking with your new colleagues, or advice on expanding your workload, take a look at these tips to make sure you can be selected for, and take advantage of, a brilliant internship opportunity.
1. Check the websites of companies you are interested in.
2. Register with a few of the many internship agencies that can be found online.
3. Use any contacts you already have to find out about vacancies.
4. Don’t be afraid to send speculative applications to companies you’re interested in.
Once you’ve found or been sent an opportunity that interests you …
5. Look at the day-to-day tasks and development opportunities to ensure it will meet your requirements.
6. Send your résumé (or CV) to the company in an attempt to secure an interview.
7. Ensure your résumé is professional and tailored for the job for which you’re applying.
8. Ask someone to proofread your résumé —spelling mistakes are likely to lose you a job opportunity despite any relevant experience you may already have. (If you’re still at university you may have access to a careers service to help with your résumé.)