Think globally; post locally—Palin helps guide Bristol-Myers Squibb Australia
With strict social media rule in place Down Under, the pharma giant had to tread carefully, but succeeded, winning “Best Use of LinkedIn” in PR Daily’s 2020 Digital Marketing & Social Media Awards.
Even global companies must play by national rules.
Pharmaceuticals giant Bristol-Myers Squibb’s Australia component falls under that country’s strict social media constraints regarding the pharmaceutical industry. For example, under the Medicines Australia Code of Conduct, pharmaceutical companies cannot talk about specific treatments and must be vigilant about messaging being perceived as “promotional.”
Still, not having a social media presence is not a viable communication option, so it set out, in partnership with Palin Communications, to show BMSA’s human side, expertise and workplace culture.
The 2019 results, in part:
- 97 posts shared via LinkedIn double that in 2018)
- Featured over 150 employees and over eight business teams in content
- 10,901 reactions, 437 comments and 254 shares
- 100% of content was code-compliant and aligned with content pillars
- 31% increase in Australian followers
- 648,700 impressions (157% increase over 2018)
- 22% average click-through rate (1.22 percentage points above industry average)
- Reach, engagement rate and follower increase exceeded BMS global results
- Eight trade media stories triggered by Bristol-Myers Squibb Australia’s LinkedIn posts
View More Digital PR Social Media Awards 2020 Winners.
Visit Ragan.com/Awards to learn more about awards opportunities.