Do you want your organization’s website to be easier to find online? âBlogging for search engine optimization (SEO) is one way to increase your visibility, but it takes more than just posting an article now and then. The best way to increase SEO for blogs is to be strategic. Here are seven tips to get you there:
1. Post as often as possible. Updating your blog regularly, down to the same time of day and day of the week, is vital. Statistics show websites that post daily receive 5 times more traffic and 4 times more sales leads than those that update weekly or less.
2. Keep posting. Research shows that once you accumulate 51 blog posts, website traffic goes up by 53 percent. Traffic increases by 3 times after 100 posts and 4.5 times after 200 posts.
3. Add a photo. In addition to looking better for visitors, it’s important when blogging for SEO. Articles with more visuals also attract more backlinks.
4. Get social. According to one study, “41.67 percent of people measure the social influence of a blog by the number of social media shares it gets.” In addition to writing quality content, make sure your blog includes social share buttons so it’s easy for your readers to post on their social media channels. Plus, blogs with more social media followers are shown to have both higher traffic and more backlinks.
5. Make it good. Make high quality content and professional design a priority; they’re the top two factors that add credibility to a blog.
6. Pick publishing days carefully. Posts on Mondays and Thursdays get the highest traffic, and most social shares, respectively. If you’re not able to publish daily, make sure your posts go live Mondays and Thursdays.
7. Share the load. Nearly 63 percent of visitors think multiple authors make a blog more credible, so have multiple people on your team take turns blogging and/or try to encourage guest posts.
Is blogging for SEO part of your organization’s marketing strategy? Share practices that have worked well for you in the comments below.
[FREE GUIDE: Run smarter email comms—and actually reach employees]
Emily Sidley is senior director of publicity at Three Girls Media, Inc., a boutique public relations and social media management agency located in the greater Seattle area. A version of this story original appeared on the company’s blog.