The first rule of many professions is: Do no harm.
For content marketers, the first rule is: Do not—under any circumstances—bore your audience.
This rule can be applied to any medium—blog posts, podcasts, video, etc.—that a business may use to educate its audience, and by proxy, market itself. While it takes experience and a keen eye to create viral content, creators can save themselves much pain and rewriting by putting themselves in the seat of a reader.
· What does your audience want to learn more about?
· What medium is your audience most comfortable with?
· How much time does your audience have?
After selecting a bold topic, there are a few style considerations to avoid turning off readers and sending them running to your competitors. How many articles have you read that were a chore to slog through?
Thankfully, there are some general guidelines for promoting readability in your writing.
MyTasker has made a list of 20 tips for audience satisfaction. They are:
1. Honor the rule of one (as in one concept/idea/call to action).
2. Capture readers with your opening.
3. Less is more.
4. Use comforting words.
5. Stop being cold-hearted.