Overwhelmed with job hunting? Getting discouraged by the lack of call backs from the dozens of résumés you’ve sent?
Instead of getting dispirited, get to work. Stop cyber-spamming employers and start volunteering. There are thousands of organizations where you can showcase your value.
The following is a step by step guide to identifying and securing a meaningful volunteer position that can move you closer to paid employment opportunities.
1. Carefully select an organization based on your interests and capabilities. These may include:
• Non-government organizations;
• Chambers of commerce;
• Convention and visitors’ bureaus;
• Municipal offices;
• Economic development centers;
2. Once you have targeted an organization, review volunteer policies. Consider areas where the organization needs help, and create your own position based on your professional knowledge and abilities.