A new survey from CareerBuilder identified a number of occasions in which standing out from the crowd got weird.
The story didn’t explain what could go wrong. Don’t fret; CareerBuilder is all it.
The jobs site conducted a nationwide survey (by way of Harris Interactive) of more than 3,000 hiring and human resource manager. The respondents ranked the worst mistakes candidates make during interviews:
• Answering cell phone or texting: 77 percent
• Appearing disinterested: 75 percent
• Dressing inappropriately: 72 percent
• Appearing arrogant: 72 percent
• Talking negatively about current or previous employers: 67 percent
• Chewing gum: 63 percent
They also shared unusual interview experiences. Here are 12 examples:
1. Candidate brought a “how to interview” book with him to the interview.
2. Candidate asked, “What company is this again?”