Pret A Manger reveals a 2nd customer death from an allergic reaction

The company has opted to be transparent, despite the continuing crisis involving food labeling and customer safety. Can the chain regain consumer trust?

Ragan Insider Premium Content
Ragan Insider Content

Pret A Manger is emphasizing transparency as it addresses revelations about another food-allergen death.

The restaurant chain, which specializes in ready-made sandwiches and flatbreads, has tried to reassure consumers amid news that a customer died from an allergic reaction to its artisan baguette.

Now the chain admits that a second customer died after eating food from one of its locations.

CNN reported:

The customer died in December 2017 after eating a “super-veg rainbow flatbread” that contained a yogurt that was supposed to be dairy-free.

But after testing by Pret and two independent authorities, it was later found that the ingredient, supplied by yogurt producer Coyo, contained dairy protein. The Food Standards Agency (FSA) was informed and all Coyo products were recalled nationwide.

Pret said in a statement that “their deepest sympathies are with the family and friends of our customer in this terrible case and we will look to help them in any way we can.” The company said it was taking legal action against Coyo.

Pret also tweeted a response:

Our statement about today’s news.

To read the full story, log in.
Become a Ragan Insider member to read this article and all other archived content.
Sign up today

Already a member? Log in here.
Learn more about Ragan Insider.