Pret A Manger vows ‘meaningful change’ after teen’s allergy death

The company faces recrimination after a failure to label potential allergens in a baguette led to the death of a U.K. girl. Executives at the chain have promised to improve its labeling.

Ragan Insider Premium Content
Ragan Insider Content

Meticulous attention to allergen labels is crucial for food purveyors.

Improper or insufficient labeling can cause severe illness or even death, not to mention generating a reputational crisis for a brand.

Ready-made sandwich chain Pret A Manger is defending its care for customers after a teenage girl died from an allergic reaction to the sesame seeds in its artisan baguette.

Pret failed to note the ingredient as an allergen on its packaging. In-store signs direct customers to ask staff about potential allergens in their products.

The Independent reported:

Pret a Manger’s food labelling failed to warn a 15-year-old girl who died after eating one of its baguettes that the sandwich contained allergens, an inquest has heard.

Concluding the hearing into the death of Natasha Ednan-Laperouse, coroner Dr Sean Cummings recorded a narrative verdict, finding that the teenager was “reassured” by the lack of specific warnings on the packaging.

“Natasha Ednan-Laperouse died of anaphylaxis in Nice on July 17, 2016, after eating a baguette purchased from Pret a Manger at London Heathrow’s Terminal 5,” he said.

To read the full story, log in.
Become a Ragan Insider member to read this article and all other archived content.
Sign up today

Already a member? Log in here.
Learn more about Ragan Insider.