A few weeks ago, the blog PR at Sunrise published the article, “Do PR Students and Pros Want to Work In-House or at an Agency,” so I thought it would be a good time to share some advice on how to get that job you want.
1. Know someone at an agency where you are just dying to work? Spruce up that resume, network like no other, and show your brand and worth. Reach out to your network, especially to someone who also receives an incentive for referring you. Pull together your own case studies and present them in a format that will turn the eye of even the most weathered HR professional.
2. Don’t just demonstrate that you know or understand a company’s culture and core values. Be ready to show that you are, in fact, a great fit for the company and how you both can be beneficial to each other. If you are reaching out to an in-house position, be sure to show how your experience in agency life can be a plus for an in-house job.
3. Look for those press releases that have contacts at an agency/in-house job that you covet. Reach out to them. Let them know that you are interested in their company and ask for a few minutes of their time to discuss the company and the best way to get your resume viewed. It takes a lot to secure that dream job, don’t be afraid to leap.
4. Infuse passion and truth in all that you do to secure your dream job. PR agencies and in-house departments look for that fire in each person that they hire. Show them that you easily adapt, but are truly passionate about the work and the image that you are striving to maintain on a professional and personal level. Being confident about who you are goes a long way in an interview.
5. Social Networking? Definitely a plus—but don’t shy away from industry events. Join those groups on LinkedIn with other PR professionals who may be the key to your dream job. However, do remember that you may be Googled at times, so always bear in mind that you are branding yourself at all times and you don’t want to lose the opportunity to secure that dream job for something foolish that may be posted.
Most importantly, remember that when scoring that dream job in-house or at an agency never wait for it to land on your lap. Good luck.
Lisa Hutchins is a human resources professional who has previously worked at leading PR firms such as Ruder Finn and Cohn & Wolfe. Her responsibilities included recruiting, employee relations, and miscellaneous employee changes. Follow Lisa on Twitter @lisahutchins. A version of this story appeared on the blog PR at Sunrise.