There’s one universal truth to accept when managing a brand’s social media account: There will be people who unfollow you.
A recent BuzzStream and Fractl survey found the top three reasons that bring people to jump ship on the average social media user or brand:
1. Too much promotional or uninteresting content.
2. Overuse of automatic messaging, or lack of personal engagement.
3. Improper use of hashtags.
The study concluded that posting too often is another reason why users might unfollow your brand. For social media managers seeking to find balance, use the following:
- 68 percent of our respondents said that they would want a brand to post between 1-2 times per day on Facebook; 63 percent on Twitter; 72 percent on LinkedIn.
- 19 percent said they’d like to see brands to post between 3-5 times per day on Facebook; 24 percent on Twitter; 13 percent on LinkedIn.