Studies have shown that social media is addictive.
A 2011 study found that 54 percent of social networkers felt a form of addiction to sites such as Facebook and Twitter, while a report from last month found that the urge to tweet might be as strong as the desire to smoke or drink alcohol. In some cases, people wanted to check social media rather than sleep or have sex.
A recent infographic explored Twitter addiction, suggesting you might be addicted to Twitter if:
• You not only know what the Fail Whale is, you have your own customized T-shirt.
• You’ve reserved a Twitter handle for your unborn child.
• You own the book Twitterature.
We asked the same question on Twitter. Here are a few of the responses.
You might be addicted to Twitter if …
We also queried Facebook users on PR Daily’s page. Here are some of the highlights from the many responses we received.
You might be addicted to Facebook if …
• It’s your only source of news updates. (via)
• You check FB in the middle of the night when you wake up to use the bathroom. (via)
• You spend all day on Facebook as a social media marketer and STILL sign on at home to see what’s going on. (via)
• You check your Facebook newsfeed before you say good morning to your spouse. (via)
• Facebook doesn’t occupy your day’s down time, but rather your life occupies your Facebook down time. (via)
You can check out the rest of the responses on the PR Daily Facebook page and share your own response—or let us know in the comments section below.
You might be addicted to social media if …