When Instagram launched IGTV in June 2018, the internet was thrown into a frenzy.
People started calling it the vertical version of YouTube. Well, they’re not wrong.
Try these 10 ways to tout your company through this booming channel:
1. Showcase products and services. With the channel’s extended time limit, brand managers can show viewers all the benefits and features of their products. FouFou Esthetics provides beauty treatments and is known for peel-off masks. FouFou posts videos of its facial treatments and provide extended versions on their IGTV channel for anyone who wants to learn how to do the beauty treatments.
2. Share tutorials. Just as product videos show a product’s features and benefits, tutorials explain how to use it—which often leads to sales. Since the brand launched, Fenty Beauty PR and marketing pros have made customers feel confident in purchasing the company’s products by providing detailed videos on how to use its makeup. They’ve been consistent in uploading tutorials, maintaining a credible brand image and keeping up with trends in makeup fashion.
3. Answer customers’ questions. To make communicating with consumers easier, many companies use IGTV to educate viewers and answer their questions. Karla Lim from Written Word Calligraphy uses IGTV to answer her audience’s questions with mini-tutorials. Her videos range from wax seals to instructions on how to seal envelopes with a wax stick. It showcases products and answers customer’s questions at the same time—a win-win situation.
4. Try recurring shows. These build a community and help retain customers. Depending on your industry, you can make a show about practically anything. You can use the opportunity to answer audience questions, review products or interview experts in your industry. John Mayer has a show called “Current Mood.” On it, he has jam sessions and talks with guests. His guests have included Lil Nas X, Khalid and even Charlie Puth. It’s a great way to connect with his fan base and introduce them to new music and learning experiences.
5. Share customer reviews. Glowing reviews give brands leverage and credibility, and they give customers the confidence to buy the company’s products. Video reviews often have more credibility than text reviews. Videos in Milk Makeup’s IGTV channel feature a wide range of people, including influencers, micro-influencers and beauty experts. This type of content is ideal for attracting new customers.
6. Feature user-generated content. People want to feel included, so why not feature customers’ content on your feed? In addition, you’ll get substantial exposure, making this a beneficial arrangement for both customer and brand. Benefit Cosmetics has long used members of the public in its marketing strategies. For example, marketers videoed a male with bushy eyebrows to show how their products work for men. Their videos feature a range of people, including well-known influencers and customers, making their brand approachable and inclusive.
7. Repurpose content. Got loads of videos already? Don’t worry. IGTV is a great place to publish or repurpose evergreen content. Tiffany & Co. did this with its TV commercials. Its IGTV channel consists of previous TV commercials and campaigns. Although posting previous commercials may seem like a lazy attempt, Tiffany uses the technique to reach new audiences that might not watch television regularly.
8. Stream live events. Do you conduct special events? If so, livestream them or document them for your audience to see, and then showcase it on IGTV. This reveals how your brand operates and helps consumers learn more about the industry. Vogue uses its IGTV channel to share videos about fashion. During fashion week, marketers upload live videos of the fashion shows and sometimes behind-the-scenes footage of the models. The exclusive content they share makes them unique and worth following, thereby attracting a bigger audience.
9. Create a portfolio. If you make unique products, IGTV is a superb place to share your work. Also, existing accounts don’t have to create a new channel. IGTV allows existing accounts to combine their channel with their Instagram account, which makes using IGTV much easier. One company, Blackforest Wood & Co., builds furniture with wood and resin. Thanks to long-form videos showing the process of making these beautiful tables, it has gained an impressive following. Because of its success on Instagram, the company consistently uploads interesting new content and engages with viewers on Instagram.
10. Offer multiple applications of long-form video content. Communicators are making more long-form videos and then distributing them across multiple social media platforms. They also often make them available on their own websites. The IGTV and YouTube videos, themselves, can then be repurposed for PR use by distributing them to TV stations and other blogs. Insider, a media company that publishes Business Insider and other sub-brands, is well known for publishing long-form videos on different subjects to reach specialized audiences. Their videos are informative and filled with interesting facts and content, making them extremely shareable.
A version of this post first ran on the Glean.info blog.