I’ve worked with dozens of interns over the last 10 years. For the most part, I’ve encountered motivated, organized, and fun young people who have embraced challenges and have contributed to the team in a very short period of time.
Here are a few tips to kick off your summer work experience and get the most out of your internship.
1. Be humble. You have a lot to learn, so a cooperative and eager attitude is appreciated.
2. Listen more than you talk. My mom used to tell me that we have two ears and one mouth for a reason.
3. Contribute. In PR or in any other professional career, participation in meetings, in brainstorms, and just in general workday interactions is expected. Don’t spout every little comment, but offer carefully chosen remarks when appropriate.
4. Ask questions. Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Internships are there for you to learn. If you don’t take advantage of the opportunity, you’ll be shorting yourself.
5. Mind the rules. Be on time. Don’t sneak out early. Clean up your messes.