The communication habits and styles of other people can be awfully irritating. It’s never you and me. It’s always someone else.
That’s the consensus in my training programs when I ask people about communication hang-ups, quirks, and pet peeves. OK, I admit I’m certainly guilty of a few (not saying which ones). How about you?
Complete this sentence: “I get annoyed with other people and their communication habits when they …”
1. Interrupt me.
2. Finish my sentences.
3. Fail to look at me.
4. Chew gum loudly.
5. Type on the computer while we’re on the phone.
6. Mumble on a voicemail message.
7. Lack clarity in project directions.
8. Write their “out of office” message with spelling errors.
9. Complain, criticize, complain, criticize…
10. Say their phone number so fast on a voice mail that I can’t get it after replaying it seven times.
11. Ask me how I am and their facial expression clearly reveals they aren’t listening and don’t truly care.