Eighty-five years ago today, the manufacturing, selling and distribution of alcohol was once again legal in the U.S.
That’s right, folks. On Dec. 5, 1933, Utah, the last state necessary for a three-fourths majority, ratified the 21st Amendment to the Constitution, which repealed the 18th Amendment and ended prohibition.
Prohibition was introduced to alleviate the negative impact that many people in the U.S. believed was associated with alcohol. However, it seemingly propelled crime and corruption as mobsters made massive sums of money (and murdered many rival gang members) thanks to the shady underworld of bootlegging the banned beverages.
Now, 85 years later, the alcohol industry seems to be thriving.
Here are some statistics to commemorate the day the U.S. stopped being “dry”:
- According to a Gallup poll, beer is the alcoholic beverage of choice. The survey states that 40 percent of consumers prefer beer, with 30 percent favoring wine and 26 percent choosing liquor.
- The sale of spirits in 2017 reached an all-time high of $26.2 billion.
- There were 8,863 breweries in the U.S. as of the end of 2017.
- In 2017, there were just more than 403 million cases of wine shipments in the U.S., according to a press release from the Wine Institute.
- The equivalent of 2.9 billion cases of 24 12-ounce servings of beer were distributed in the U.S. in 2017.
[FREE DOWNLOAD: Keep your cool in a crisis with these 13 tips]
Additionally, here are the top beer brewers/importers in the U.S., according to Beer Marketer’s Insights:
- Anheuser-Busch Inbev
- Constellation Brands
- HEINEKEN USA
- Pabst Brewing Co.
Now that you’re free to purchase your alcoholic beverage of choice, would you like to join one of the nation’s top brewers/importers? Here are a few choice openings from each of the companies in the top five:
- Anheuser-Busch seeks a senior brand manager for RITAS in New York City.
- MillerCoors is looking for a craft pricing analytics manager in Chicago.
- Constellation Brands is searching for a vice president of marketing innovation for its beer division in Chicago.
- HEINEKEN USA is seeking a regional marketing director–west in Manhattan Beach, California.
- Pabst Brewing seeks a brand manager for Pabst Blue Ribbon in Los Angeles.
Not the job for you? See what else we have in our weekly professional pickings:
If you have a position you’d like to see highlighted in PR Daily’s weekly jobs post, or if you’re searching for career opportunities, RaganJobs.com is the perfect place to find or post high-quality job openings.