If you want to publish articles on a consistent basis, remember these key points:
1. Starting is the hardest part. Most days I don’t feel like sitting down to write, but once I start, I almost always get into it—and then I don’t want to stop. Inertia is powerful.
2. Stick to a consistent format. A format will help you get started because you have been there before and don’t need to think as much. Plus, consistently formatted writing denotes professionalism, which is always good.
3. The more you publish, the easier it gets. Try getting on a monthly, weekly or even daily publishing streak. “Streaks require commitment at first,” Seth Godin wrote in his 4,015th daily article, “but then the commitment turns into a practice, and the practice into a habit. Habits are much easier to maintain than commitments.” Again, inertia.
4. Being passionate helps a lot. If you’re not passionate about your subject, your motivation to write and publish—to keep your streak going—will wane.
5. If you let yourself, you could edit any given article for the rest of your life. It takes as much discipline to start writing as it does to stop, take a breath and let it go. Perfection is an illusion.
6. Always, always, always write down your ideas as they come. If you don’t, you’ll get demotivated when you forget an idea—and you will Either you’ll forget it outright, like it was never there, like amnesia, or worse, you’ll remember how you felt when the idea first came to you—the excitement, the promise—but when you try to recall it, the substance won’t be there. It will be too late.
7. Limit your writing time. “I’m a time-based worker,” Austin Kleon says about productivity. “I try to go at my work like a banker. I just have hours. I show up to the office, and whatever gets done gets done.” What if you’re under a deadline? What if the work must get done? In that case, lean on Parkinson’s Law: “Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.” In other words, if you give yourself five hours to write an article, it may very well take you all five hours to finish. But if you only give yourself an hour to write the same article, it will take you an hour.