For one PR pro, waking up at 5 a.m. is a regular occurrence. Perhaps even more striking, her only fuel is “weak coffee,” a half-cup of the good stuff diluted with water.
Valerie Christopherson, CEO and founder of Global Results Communications, uses the extra time to work with her team to serve her top priority: her clients. One of the most important tools she uses to achieve her goals is her trusty email inbox—which she clears before leaving for the day.
She shares how she aces her workday in our latest in our “Day in the Life” series:
- What time do you wake up?
On a daily basis, I’m up by 5 a.m.
- How many cups of coffee do you drink a day?
Not that many, I tend to make half a cup, then dilute it with hot water throughout the day; I’m a “weak” coffee drinker.
- Who is the most important person at work you talk to during your day?
Clients, quickly followed by the team. The type of agency we are requires me to talk with a variety of people throughout the day. Collaboration has been key to our success.
- What’s one tool that you couldn’t live without?
Email. It is a critical form of communication these days, relied on by both the client and the press.
- What’s the last thing you do before finishing your workday?
Clear out the inbox. By clearing out the inbox each day before shutting down for the night, I’m able to be prepared for the upcoming day.
- What keeps you up at night?
My phone! Given we are a global company, my phone tends to ring or get texted multiple times throughout the night. So, literally, it’s my phone.
- What trend or change is the next big thing in communications and/or your industry?
Visual-based communications. Pictures can tell a thousand words. Videos have been integrated, but I foresee it becoming even more popular.
- Anything else you want to share?
In a world that is moving 24/7, it’s important to focus. Otherwise the distractions will hinder your success.