Though my son may not share my enthusiasm for writing, the curriculum his school is using is full of great writing advice. The following is from a checklist called “Traits of Good Writing” in which the kids are asked to rate their writing based on the following factors.
• My introduction grabs the reader’s attention.
• I used transition words to move from idea to idea.
• My paragraphs show where my subtopics begin and end.
• I really tried to show passion about my topic.
• If read aloud, it sounds like something I might really say.
• I did things in my writing to help my audience understand.
• I captured a tone or mood with my words.